Senior Director - 340B & Hospital Policy
- Provide day-to-day oversight and management of PhRMA’s policy development and initiatives related to 340B and related hospital policy issues including transparency, performance, and cost of care.
- Conceptualize and work with colleagues in the Department and with consultants to design and execute research and analysis that makes the case for policy reforms, and conduct analyses to highlight the impact of policy changes on industry, government or patients.
- Work closely with colleagues in other departments to support education and advocacy initiatives on 340B and related hospital performance and affordability issues.
- Manage, mentor, and develop up to two direct reports.
- Provide member direction and guidance through analysis and development of policy recommendations.
- Solve complex problems related to policy using subject matter expertise and analytical thinking.
- Develop strong relationships with member companies, consultants and colleagues PhRMA-wide to understand advocacy goals/objectives and manage issues proactively.
- Act as internal point of contact on relevant subject matter areas and provide policy and legislative analysis for other departments (e.g., Federal, Communications, Alliance) including summaries of proposals, identification of significant changes or issues of importance to the sector and suggest potential alternatives.
- Collaborate with and support the communications team on development of PhRMA press materials;
- Actively engage and advocate on PhRMA’s behalf with the policy community, academics and government agencies, identifying points of agreement to foster collaborative decision making with other stakeholders;
- Develop presentations and represent PhRMA at briefings and other events on the 340B program and hospital costs and affordability making the case for needed policy reforms;
- Manage research budget dollars and work-streams as assigned;
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive self-starter who is passionate about access to medicines and contributing to the healthcare challenges we face today. The preferred candidate will bring expertise in analyzing healthcare data and reports, and be focused, organized, detail-oriented, responsive, and diplomatic. Key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and team focus paired with the ability to work independently and under short timelines. The successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize, and shift gears quickly and be comfortable in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Policy, Public Administration, Public Policy, Health Economics, Statistics, Epidemiology, or related field
- 5+ years of directly-related experience;
- Strong understanding of the healthcare industry, with at least 5 years of experience working in healthcare, health policy, or health services research;
- Previous experience managing staff and consultants
- Experience with health care provider policy issues, including 340B and/or related provider issues.
- Ability to review analytic reports and interpret data and bring data analysis to bear on policy issues
- Expertise in Microsoft Office products such as Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Very strong presentation skills;
- Adept at consensus building;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Master's degree
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $900 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.