Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America’s (PhRMA’s) Policy and Research team is seeking a Senior Manager to support policy and advocacy on prescription drug coverage in federal health insurance programs (Medicare, VA, DOD). This individual will assist with PhRMA’s policy and research efforts on Medicare Part D coverage and on monitoring proposals to modify Part D or other federal health insurance programs in the context of deficit reduction, “repeal and replace,” or entitlement reform.
The Senior Manager is responsible for:
- Supporting research and analysis of legislative or regulatory proposals and their impact on the biopharmaceutical industry;
- Preparing materials that describe draft policy recommendations and alternatives for consideration by cross-departmental teams and member company working groups;
- Translating and summarizing technical policy proposals and legislation or regulations for a wide range of audiences to support and advance PhRMA’s advocacy on Medicare Part D. Developing advocacy, summary, and decision-support materials such as presentations, letters, 1-pagers, white papers and talking points;
- Supporting PhRMA’s subject matter specialists and representatives before third parties on Medicare Part D and related matters, while building personal Part D knowledge and expertise over time;
- Regularly attending meetings on Capitol Hill, third-party/alliance briefings, MedPAC and other relevant policy discussions, and reporting back to PhRMA colleagues on key discussions and developments;
- Assisting in planning, preparing for and leading policy workgroup discussions on timely Part D issues. Serving as a strong advocate for the industry’s Part D agenda both internally and externally.
PhRMA seeks a proactive, confident and collaborative individual with strong Medicare knowledge who is passionate about contributing to the health care challenges we face today. The successful candidate will have strong understanding and interest in the policy, political, and economic factors impacting Medicare, as well as familiarity and an eagerness to defend against the challenges currently facing the U.S. biopharmaceutical industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy/Administration/Health/Health Economics, or related discipline;
- 3-5 years of experience working in a public policy, government, trade association, or health insurance environment;
- An understanding of the US health care system, working knowledge of Medicare’s structure (particularly Part D), and familiarity with federal regulatory and legislative processes;
- Strong technical acumen;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Collaborative and dedicated team player;
- Proactive, self-assured and responsive;
- Confident public speaker.
- Master’s degree in Public Policy/Administration/Health/Health Economics, or related discipline; or, 2 years of directly-related Medicare experience.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org.