Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Deputy Vice President for its Policy and Research team to lead primarily state-related analysis and strategy connected to trends in prescription drug coverage (including Medicaid, employer coverage, and the individual market), spending and utilization. The individual will report to the Vice President for Public Programs and will work across the organization to ensure alignment of state and federal policy priorities and support the advancement of those priorities at the state level. This role is highly visible both internally and externally and requires extensive proactive collaboration across PhRMA and with member companies. S/he will serve as an advocate and be called upon to represent PhRMA’s interests in state regulatory meetings, legislative hearings, and to deliver federal policy expertise at state stakeholder meetings.
The Deputy Vice President will:
- Serve as the leading subject matter expert within PhRMA’s Policy and Research Department on prescription drug coverage, cost, and pricing trends from a state perspective while bringing prior expertise in federal health policy to bear;
- Advocate on behalf of the industry in state and local settings in coordination with media, and before national organizations of state entities (NAIC, NGA, NASHP, etc.) in coordination with the State Advocacy team;
- Monitor, review and summarize state policy developments relating to insurance coverage and regulation, Medicaid reform, and health care cost trends, with particular attention to issues relating to prescription drugs;
- Keep Policy and Research Department colleagues apprised of key state developments to ensure they may be accounted for in federal policy and research efforts;
- Lead rapid response and analysis of high-profile state legislative or regulatory proposals identified by the State Advocacy team, including preparation and/or review of state-focused talking points, press releases, position statements, testimony, presentations and other materials;
- Work closely with PhRMA’s State Advocacy, Alliance Development and Communications teams to understand goals, objectives, and needs, and manage issues proactively to ensure timely response;
- Oversee development and updating of state-facing advocacy materials in coordination with other departments and translate national policy research and analyses for effective use in the states;
- Identify gaps in existing research and analysis from the state perspective and recommend action to fill the gaps, working in concert with the Policy and Research team to fulfill them.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive, self-starter who is passionate about access to medicines and contributing to the healthcare challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and team focus paired with the ability to work and prioritize tasks independently. The preferred candidate will bring substantive health care policy analysis experience, ideally in a legislative setting, as well as exceptional written and verbal communication skills, expertise in reviewing and interpreting in-depth policy analyses including trend reports and fiscal impact statements, and be focused, organized, detail-oriented, responsive and diplomatic. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Public Health, Health Policy or related discipline;
- 7+ years of experience in healthcare policy, research, or advocacy;
- Experience advocating publicly on behalf of high-profile organizations in contentious settings;
- The ability to synthesize, distill and communicate complex issues and ideas to a non-technical audience;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills.
Preferred Experience / Requirements
- J.D. or master’s degree in Business, Health Policy, Public Policy, Public Health, Communications, or related discipline;
- PBM, health insurer or pharmaceutical company experience;
- Capitol Hill (federal), HHS (federal), and/or state legislative or regulatory experience.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges. We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement referencing “PhRMA-DVP Policy & Research-State” for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org.