Senior Director or Director – International Intellectual Property Advocacy
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Director or Director for its International Advocacy team to develop and execute policy positions, strategies and advocacy on intellectual property for the innovative biopharmaceutical industry. This influential team player with excellent relationship-building skills will work collaboratively across the organization and with member companies, international trade associations, governments and other stakeholders to advance international intellectual property advocacy priorities. Critical to this role is the ability to operate autonomously, communicate effectively and confidently manage work across multiple stakeholder groups to ensure goals and deliverables are achieved in a timely manner.
The Senior Director or Director will:
- Assist in the development of policy positions, strategies and analysis to advance international intellectual property advocacy priorities.
- Advance international intellectual property priorities in priority markets in collaboration with PhRMA colleagues, member companies and sister associations.
- Anticipate, track and assess emerging intellectual property issues that will have a significant impact on priority markets and policies.
- Work with senior leadership to synthesize and convert complex and technical information into clear, convincing and audience-appropriate written materials that support PhRMA’s advocacy efforts.
- Represent the International Advocacy team at internal PhRMA meetings and collaborate across the organization on policies and engagement strategy.
- Manage research projects and consultants to ensure high quality, timely and impactful work products.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, collaborative, and action-oriented individual who is passionate about fostering public policies that encourage continued medical innovation. Key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and team focus paired with the ability to work independently. The preferred candidate will bring substantive policy development and analytical expertise, excellent writing skills, and the ability to convey technical content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive, and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Juris Doctorate degree required; Bachelor’s degree in sciences preferred;
- 5+ years of combined experience working on international intellectual property law and/or policy matters, advocacy or government experience preferred;
- Expert understanding of intellectual property with a focus on patent law and international trade policy;
- Excellent interpersonal, network-building, and advocacy skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Availability to travel internationally up to 20 percent of time.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested nearly $1 trillion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $83 billion in 2019 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.