Senior Accounts Payable Specialist – Finance
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) in Washington, D.C., has an amazing opportunity for an experienced Senior AP Specialist to join our accounting department. In addition to the candidate possessing strong technical skills, we are looking for someone who is a team player and has excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills. In this role, you will work closely with the Accounting and Finance team as well as with all PhRMA departments, stakeholders and vendors.
The Senior AP Specialist will:
- Perform Accounts Payable daily tasks including extensive interaction with vendors and PhRMA staff, managing invoice workflow, validating general ledger coding, receiving, matching, voucher input, check/wire payment processing (including executing wire transactions through Bank of America), void/stop payments and recurring payments. Create and maintain vendors in D365 and maintain electronic vendor folders.
- Review and approve travel and expense reports through Concur in accordance with PhRMA’s T&E Policy and coordinate directly with PhRMA staff on any exception items or necessary follow-up. Provide new employees with training on the T&E reporting tool, policies and procedures, and how to reconcile their monthly AMEX and cash reports. Assist in updating policies and procedures.
- Review Accounts Payable invoices for accuracy and appropriate approvals in compliance with PhRMA policies. Process vendor invoices, credit memos, voids, reclasses in D365 and ensure accuracy of data entry.
- Prepare compliance reports and mailings, including monthly sales tax, unclaimed property, annual accruals, accounts payable general ledger reconciliations for PhRMA and the PhRMA Foundation, 1099 tax reporting and annual Form 990 schedules.
- Prepare and/or assist with other general ledger reconciliations for month-end close.
- Assume other responsibilities from time to time as directed.
Key Success Factors
Key success factors for this role include providing excellent customer service, and the ability to interface with stakeholders and vendors effectively. The successful candidate will possess the skill set to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment, delivering results and quality service. The candidate should be team orientated, a self-starter and have the capacity to work in both collaborative and independent settings.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Associates degree in accounting/finance or relevant work experience. Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance preferred.
- 3 to 4 years accounts payable experience
- Strong Excel capabilities and experience in utilizing accounting software packages; experience with D365 and Concur
- Ability to manage time and priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong attention to detail with a high level of accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, maintain confidentiality, and exercise judgment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong relationship-building and collaboration skills
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier, and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $71.4 billion in 2017 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges. We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.