Executive Director, China Office – PhRMA International
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America’s (PhRMA’s) international department seeks an experienced, influential and visionary leader and team player with excellent relationship building, management, policy analysis and communication skills to serve as the Executive Director of its new Beijing, China office. China is a dynamic and complex market for the innovative biopharmaceutical industry, and the second largest pharmaceutical market with total sales of $142 billion in 2019 and projected sales of $174 billion by 2024. In addition, China is an increasingly important market for U.S. pharmaceutical manufacturers with exports to the market averaging 20% growth each year. Consistent with PhRMA’s mission, the Executive Director will seek to advance polices that protect biopharmaceutical innovation and increase patient access to innovative medicines.
The Executive Director, China Office, will lead government, policy and public affairs for PhRMA in China and will report to the Deputy Vice President in Washington, D.C., who is responsible for PhRMA’s China program. The Executive Director will be responsible for identifying, hiring and building a team of staff and consultants as well as managing all administrative matters related to PhRMA’s China office, including staff, consultants, budget and annual work plans. This position will be fully integrated with the PhRMA international department in Washington and work in close partnership with the Research & Development-Based Pharmaceutical Association Committee (RDPAC) in Beijing. The Executive Director will work with the Deputy Vice President in Washington, D.C., to design and implement government and public affairs strategies for the market, recognizing emerging challenges and identifying opportunities to shape policies aligned with industry’s core policy objectives.
The Executive Director’s responsibilities will include:
- Managing operations for the market, including development of the annual work plan, leading policy advocacy coordination (e.g., conducting and joining regular conference calls / meetings) and administering the local budget.
- Representing PhRMA in meetings with government officials and other key stakeholders as well as host visits by PhRMA and member company executives.
- Working with RDPAC, local member company leadership and representatives, and abovecountry member company staff to identify key policy issues that impact the innovative biopharmaceutical industry. Developing industry-aligned positions and coordinated advocacy action plans to address policy issues that arise and coordinating to ensure effective implementation of plans.
- Prioritizing issues and resources based on needs of the industry and leading development and implementation of integrated government and public affairs strategies to advance policy priorities.
- Building the government and public affairs capabilities of the China office by leveraging existing PhRMA capacity building materials and best practices.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Government Affairs experience: 8-10 years government affairs and / or government experience (ideally related to the pharmaceutical industry). Direct experience in China is very important.
- Stakeholder engagement experience: Experience working with other stakeholders (e.g., academia, key opinion leaders, industry) to achieve common policy objectives, and successfully engaging and managing consultants to achieve desired result.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement a policy advocacy plan: First-hand experience in designing and implementing external engagement strategies to achieve desired outcomes or address policy challenges, working with other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills: Ability to effectively and persuasively communicate in English complex concepts and programs at the highest level of government and business. Proficiency in Mandarin Chinese desirable but not required.
- Consensus Building: Ability to work comfortably and effectively with sister association and member company representatives to build consensus on policy positions, messaging and advocacy efforts.
- Management: Track record of effectively managing a team.
- English Language Fluency: Fluent command of English language, both written and oral required.
- Beijing Location: Ability to work full time at PhRMA office in Beijing.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $900 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.