Deputy Vice President - Public Affairs
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Deputy Vice President for its Public Affairs team to lead national media relations activities, including developing relationships with reporters, serving as a spokesperson for PhRMA on priority issues and managing executive visibility activities for the CEO and other executives.
The individual will report to the Executive Vice President of Public Affairs and work with colleagues across the organization to develop and execute proactive communications strategies on cost and value of medicines, including responding to attacks from critics and driving our proactive agenda through the PhRMA Value Collaborative. These priorities are organizationally cross-cutting and require a high degree of organization, collaboration with internal stakeholders and subject matter expertise and include, but are not limited to, issues such as access, prescription drug costs, Sunshine Act, Value Based Healthcare, PDUFA and others.
The Deputy Vice President is responsible for:
- Leading national media relations activities, including developing relationship with reporters, managing response to media inquiries and serving as a spokesperson on priority issues.
- Managing executive visibility activities for the CEO and other PhRMA executives, including handling speaking requests, identifying and securing media and speaking opportunities, drafting presentations and staffing executives for events.
- Working with the PhRMA Policy department and consultants to oversee the Value Collaborative, a proactive communications and public affairs campaign to position the industry as supporting value based health care and building awareness of our policy priorities in this area.
- Working with a cross-departmental team to develop and execute a proactive communications and public affairs strategy on the cost and value of medicines, including reporter education, rapid response.
- Facilitating PhRMA interdepartmental collaboration to build consensus and alignment on positioning and communications messaging.
- Managing 3-5 consultants at any given time, along with 2 direct reports.
- Developing impactful messaging, advocacy and communications materials and reviewing the work of consultants including blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor, press releases, talking points and presentations, among other materials.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, confident and action-oriented individual who is passionate about contributing to the health care challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include a strong sense of team and collaborative focus, as well as a positive attitude. The preferred candidate will bring substantive health care communications expertise and be an organized, detail-oriented, self-starter with excellent writing skills and the ability to convey content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. Demonstrated consensus building, decision-making and interpersonal skills are essential. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English or related field;
- 10+ years of experience in communications for either a PR firm, large trade association, political campaign or on Capitol Hill.
- Self-starter, motivated, and responsive.
- Very strong team player with the ability to work very effectively across departments.
- Proactive, confident, and action-oriented, and passionate about communicating about health care challenges and solutions.
- Exceptionally organized and detail-oriented.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to convey content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner.
- Strong communication, decision-making and interpersonal skills essential, in highly visible position that is both internally and externally facing.
- Comfortable and skilled with public speaking and being politically savvy.
- Must be available after hours and on weekends for work and sudden travel.
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Health, Strategic Marketing or related field • Prior Health care experience preferred
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
Connect with PhRMA
For information on how innovative medicines save lives, please visit:
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.