As we continue to combat the pandemic, America’s biopharmaceutical industry is working around the clock in unprecedented partnerships to manufacture COVID-19 vaccines, reaching billions of doses by the end of the year. Vaccination rates and willingness to receive a vaccine among Americans are also at a high, where half of all adults in the U.S. have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Americans recognize that COVID-19 vaccines are integral to controlling the spread of coronavirus in the United States, and they appreciate the cautious approach to assessing vaccine safety.
- 88% of Americans support the caution demonstrated by the FDA and CDC, and 58% said that FDA and CDC caution around vaccine safety has made them more confident in the vaccines.
- According to Gallup, 74% of adults are either willing to or have already been vaccinated against coronavirus, with 50% of adults having received at least one dose of the vaccine.
- Continued willingness to be vaccinated is also likely driven by the majority of Americans (57%) who state that they trust the advice of the CDC.
- When it comes to the impact of new coronavirus variants on vaccinations, attitudes about the importance of vaccinations in the U.S. are linked to perceptions of the potential threat posed by outbreaks. According to Pew, 58% of Americans believe that the spread of new variants makes it more important for a large majority of the public to get vaccinated.
Americans appreciate biopharmaceutical leadership in the research and development of COVID-19 vaccines.
- American companies, as the engine of the unique innovation ecosystem, have led in discovery and development of a robust vaccine supply, and these efforts have not gone unnoticed. 87% of Americans agree the coronavirus pandemic has shown the important role drug companies have in research and development for discovering new treatments, cures and vaccines.
- The biopharmaceutical industry continues to work around the clock to scale production of COVID-19 vaccines, as well as continue to test new vaccines and existing therapies to treat coronavirus.
- Industry has formed unprecedented partnerships to increase scale and overall production with the collective goal of ending the pandemic. Current forecasts estimate that the number of vaccines produced to date will increase by more than 600% in the next 8 months.
With more Americans showing willingness to receive a coronavirus vaccine, Americans are counting on a strong U.S. biopharmaceutical industry to meet the growing demand. Now, more than ever, we need to ensure that we continue investing in this critical innovation ecosystem that supports our pandemic response. The industry is working nonstop to ramp up vaccine production while continuing to innovate around solutions to help end the pandemic.